Monday, June 13, 2005
Circadian what?
Angela and Christine are back Down South by now. The last stop on their trip was Seward for a glacier tour. Our train ride up from Anchorage was fabulous. We had the Gold Star service which was just pure pampering. We toasted with a mimosa as we set out from Anchorage - and then twice more with wine when we stopped to board more passengers later in the day (at Talkeetna and Denali). Ironically, the roof of one of the tunnels had some damage just two days after our trip. No one was hurt during the incident. However, it did delay some folks' travel plans as they had to disembark the train to get on a bus and take that around the tunnel to get back on another train. Yikes. The rest of the week the girls set out to explore Fairbanks- which they accomplished for the most part by four p.m. of Day One here! Mon. night we went out to Chena Hot Springs. They went ahead of me to tour the Ice Hotel and drink a martini at the Stoli Ice Bar. Unfortunately, none of us thought that they would need some more clothing for a comfortable visit there. It was fun for them, though. We took a dive in the springs afterward with my friend, Christina, who came up with me to meet them after I got off work. They definitely got to see the midnight sun on the drive back. We left about 11:30 and it's an hour drive. What else? Tues. they went to Denali. Angela lived a dream of hers by rafting. She had been told it was one of the prettiest places to raft on a previous trip to Colorado. I'm not so sure if it was the water or the river guides that really had the pull on her! Wed. some more hopping around town before they came to the studio to watch us do the newscast. Then, we went to Ester Gold Camp to watch a variety show about how folks ended up here in the middle of nowhere. Sadly, I had to see them off Thurs. morning for their day's travel to Anchorage and then Seward. It was surreal to have them here. Certainly welcome, though. I think I just miss home more now. It's nearly one in the morning. I should not be awake but I am. The sun is going to drive me crazy, I think. We're beyond the point of curious now. Thankfully, the summer solstice is just a week away and the daylight hours will be on the decline. I certainly have had a practical experience in the light piercing the darkness. I have some fairly heavy blinds on my windows but the light still gets in up by the hanging rod and around the sides. I finally put a blanket on over that. I guess I'll sleep well tomorrow...from exhaustion. ; )
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment