Friday, July 29, 2005

Soul food

It was so great to have Pete, Jonesey and Doc in town.
Unfortunately, they were delayed and didn't arrive until Sat. morning.
Once they got cleaned up, we headed out for a tour of Fairbanks. About ten minutes
later when that was over ; ) we went out to North Pole, the Pipeline and to Ester Gold Camp.
We had dinner at the Chena Pump House. Pete and Jonesey had the reindeer(caribou) steak. They were kind enough to share so I can tell you WOW! It was good. Sunday we went to Denali. It's a two-hour drive so we were there most of the day. We ate lunch and toured through the park. I went for a short hike/climb up a big rock structure. We also went in the
visitor center, which I've never been to before, and the book store. The day was overcast and rainy.
Fortunately, for them, they were able to go back later in the week and see McKinley (pics below). The night before they left, I had them over to my home for dinner. I cooked Moose roast. I think it was pretty good. I've had it once before. My friend, Caleb, supplied the meat-
he also stocked me up with some meat for moose burgers and breakfast sausage. We're losing six minutes of daylight every day now. So, the sun is setting about 11:45, though it still doesn't really get dark. I think in late August, we'll have some darkness. Can't believe how quickly time is passing. I'll have to winterize my car soon and prepare for the cold. Just three weeks til I hit 29. I think I'm going to travel north for the weekend with my friend, Michelle. Softball has just finished up. I think in the Fall I'll be occupied with tennis (indoors) and the shooting league at the range. More soon. This posting was long delayed...my apologies.

No comments: