Tomorrow is Friday and I have much to look forward to this weekend- mostly, the Chick-fil-A biscuit and Mellow Mushroom calzone that is being personally delivered to me in Anchorage tomorrow! Well, I'm actually most excited to have the company of old friends. Well, they're not old. They're only around 30. I mean that they've been friends of mine for a while - ha ; ) I will have plenty of new pics to put up after the wknd. We will be travelling across the state by rail - a real treat! This week has been pretty good. The big news in F'banks is the proposed closing of Eielson Air Force Base. There is a HUGE effort underway to "save Eielson." So, I talked with Senator Lisa Murkowski today about that. I feel really priveleged to still have some interaction with DC here. We have a report from our correspondent in DC everyday. The really interesting thing about the political climate here has to do with the population. We have two senators, as does every state, but we only have one congressman because the entire state's population is under a million. That's insane considering the physical area is 1/5 the size of the entire U.S. If you were to spread out the population over the entire state, each person would have about one square mile to themselves! I'm happy with my little niche on 2nd Avenue, though, and I will venture out in short trips to explore the vastness of the State...and some of that will begin with Christine and Angela's arrival in beautiful F'banks Sat. Feel free to send other bits of 'home' to me here - I'll take them by postal delivery....or personal delivery. * p.s.
I guess I should let you know that we do have SOME staples of American culture- McDonald's, Wal Mart and Home Depot- but I'm not much of a consumer of any of those places. There is no real mall to speak of and few restaurants you'd probably be familiar with. That's all for now. Got a newscast to do.
Thursday, June 02, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Hey Cara,
I thought of you yesteday as I booked a flight Anchorage yesterday! I decided it'd be time to catch up on your web site and read up on your adventures. I'm headed up in August to do a bit of fishing for some of the great salmon that run that time of year. This will be my first trip......You make it sound so beautiful.
Cheers
Jim Bickelhaupt
Fleet Feet Runner guy
jbickelhaupt@ na . ko. com (spaces inserted to keep away the spammers)
Post a Comment