Monday, December 26, 2005

MERRY CHRISTMAS

I can't believe how long it's been since my last update. The only excuse is that I've been terribly busy getting settled. That's a good thing. There have been many, many social opportunities the last few weeks with all the Christmas parties. I'm capitalizing on each chance to meet new people! I'm also spending time with the people I already know, of course. It seems surreal in some ways- like I never left. I know it was just over a year (14 months) since I left DC but boy did it fly! Naturally, some things are the same while others have changed. Living in the city is a change, to be sure. I'm enjoying it. I take the Metro everwhere - well, the Metro and my feet get me where I want to go. This weekend my mode of transportation was a car, though- that's how my buddy, Kevin, and I traveled up to the Big Apple. I wanted to experience a New York Christmas. (I've been to NYC half a dozen times now but never at Christmast) Kevin was the only friend here who, like me, was not going home for the weekend. (I'll be in Atlanta in January for a friend's wedding, Ms. Kathy Gordon). So, we went up on Friday. We stayed in Newark, New Jersey and caught the commuter train (PATH) into the city.
We met a friend of mine, Doug Labrecque, Friday afternoon. Doug and I met several years ago when I was in NYC covering a story- the NYC marathon, in fact. Several service members were taking part in a fund raiser for Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer center in the name of Thomas Labrecque. Doug is Tom's son. Doug and his family have since established the Labrecque Classic (a four mile run) to raise money for lung cancer research in honor of his dad who died from the disease. Mr. Labrecque was a non-smoker and an active man. (learn more at http://www.tglclassic.com/) So, that was Friday afternoon. After that, we toured the financial district and around city hall. We spent a little while in Times Square. Then, we headed to the village for dinner and to CBGB's- the famous rock club. (to see a map: http://www.new-york-hotels-discount-resorts.com/nyc-map.gif) Kevin ate it up- there were three punk bands performing that night. And late in the night, we headed back to Newark for some sleep. Saturday, we crammed a lot into one day. We spent some more time in Times Square, went to Rockefeller Center and up toward Central Park. We saw the windows at Saks on Saturday and at Macy's on Friday. I like Macy's better, for sure. Before that, we toured St. Patrick's cathedral- a magnificent structure. 4:30 we were off to the Rockettes Christmas Music Spectacular. The title is an appropriate description! Loved it. Followed that with a nice dinner at the Prime Grill and the movie "Shop Girl." We had planned on staying another day to explore Central Park but the rain came and I was feeling poorly. So, we headed out Christmas day back to the other great city- Washington, DC. It's Monday morning now and I am headed back to bed-I am horribly sick. It started on Friday but held off mostly until yesterday. I'm thankful I was able to enjoy the time in NYC. Though I didn't see my family for Christmas, I talked to them a good deal this week and shared in the excitement my nieces and nephews have about the big day. Just a few weeks and I'll be home for a quick visit. I'll be posting much more frequently now- aiming for a few times a week but at least once a week. Only one more week of parties and sweets and anything you wanted to get done in 2005. What are your resolutions for the New Year? : )

No comments: