Saturday, July 08, 2006

SummerTravels

I took off the other week on one of the few trips scheduled for the year. I went with Jen to her family's cabin in the SW part of Virginia to cheer for her and her family in a triathlon. We had a great time. Jen won her age group. Her dad, Tim, placed third in his age group. I didn't compete in the triathlon but I smoked Sean (Jen's brother) in a match of Bocci. I have to cling to that since he has beat me in every other game. Mr. and Mrs. Kute played some Bocci with me, too. Cookie is nearly a pro, I think, back home in Winston-Salem. This trip took place the weekend there was such heavy rain in the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast. We went out on the river and stayed in while it rained. I spent a good deal of time in the rain that weekend. I was ensuring that I will never say, "I should have played in the rain." I think I was out for about two hours playing frisbee golf in the rain. Highlight of the weekend! The cabin is such a relaxing place. The Kute's fed me with good grub and provided great company. I had to leave sooner than planned because of the rain. (so I wasn't trapped by flooding getting back to DC). Anywho, I stopped in Charlottesville on the way back. My friend from home, Jenn Cowart, went to UVA in '92. I'd always hoped to go see her there. I made it after 14 years! I went and shopped and ate downtown and walked-in the rain- around the campus...I mean, the grounds, at UVA. The top picture here is from my dear friend Leigh's visit to DC the next week. Leigh and I have known each other since college. Sean also came to DC and took his obligatory shot in front of the White House. It was great to have friends come visit!

No comments: