Sunday, June 03, 2007

What did you do today?

Just two things- drove out to Knik Glacier and went skateboarding (yes, skateboarding).

One side bar about Knik Glacier. It's a three hour drive off the road system- through sand, 4 feet deep water, mud, steep hills.

I was fortunate to tag along with a local Land Rover owners' group that goes out with the dealership once a quarter. The pros lead the show - getting out of the car to stand and direct the novices which way to turn, how much gas, how many wheels were touching!

It was so much fun but my body is achey from all the bumping and rattling around.
I also got a bit of a work out as I hiked on the glacier! Most of the area was broken up. So, we were jumping from ice float to ice float (checking with my hiking stick first).

When I got back, I met up with my friend, Catherine, for dinner and a trip to the skate shop. She got a longboard and I got a short deck skate board I'll take to the park and finally learn how to ride on a pipe. We rode for about an hour- first in a park to get our legs under us and then through a neighborhood and out onto a trail.

It was so much fun. Not surprisingly, it is now 12:20. I'm about to go to sleep but it's another day that demonstrates why Alaskans are completely sleep-deprived three months out of the year.